Monday 31 October 2011

Trick or Treat

Confession time:  I love Halloween.  It's only to be expected as I am an old witch.

Until this year my children have always had a Halloween party and I would decorate the house and make gruesome food:  Witches fingers (chicken) with flaky skin (covered in crisps) dripping in blood (tomato ketchup), gravestone sandwiches, orange jelly in pumpkin carved oranges, bat wing biscuits, spider-web cupcakes and green slime (limeade) to drink with floating eyeballs (lychees).  I would organise games and tell spooky stories and generally have great fun scaring their friends.  My neighbours only stopped believing that I had been to Witch School a few years ago, after a story I told them when they were 3!  For me, it's a festival of light that I can cope with.  I'm not a big fan of fireworks and I think we all need  something when the days start to get short.  I grew my own pumpkin this year.


With all the weekend university visits, Royal Albert Hall and National Anthems to contend with I didn't feel up to organising a party this year.  I didn't even realise that it was today and I had no sweets in the house or any time to go shopping but I did have ingredients to make cake.


The topping is made with ready roll icing and when I opened the cupboard to find the apricot jam to stick it on I came up with a wicked idea.


Apricot jam or courgette relish? That would be a real trick or treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment