Friday 14 October 2011

Pants

Today I was a bit pants.  With the Foundation class I couldn't remember the nursery rhymes I was teaching.  Looking with hope at the other adult in the room was no help, either.  She just laughed and said, "I hope you are going to blog about this!"

Being a musician can be a bit isolating sometimes.  We have a language all of our own that other people don't understand.  Quite often this can make us sound a bit rude.  It is quite common for a conductor to ask you to 'finger your parts' while they rehearse the string section.  String players are notorious for their lack of sense of humour.  It's probably all the G-string jokes!

This is a beautiful drawing of my daughter by one of our Orchestra trustee's wife.

I had a G-string moment this morning, when I asked one of the violin players if he could find his G-string.  My favourite was during a concert when a child said in quite a loud voice, "Miss, my G string has gone all floppy!"
In one rehearsal the string section was having trouble with their pizzicato section and the conductor was getting increasingly frustrated with the rest of the orchestra chuckling about having to finger their parts so he said, "Please, people! Can we have some quiet? We really need to get these plucking strings together!"

No comments:

Post a Comment