Wednesday 5 October 2011

One day I'll write a sitcom

After a day teaching music to children who would much rather be spinning around the hall on their heads I meet some friends at an adult music school and continue my evening making really bad music.  Am I nuts?  I think I am.  It's always been a passion of mine to join very amateur music groups.  I don't know why.  I can make OK music but there is something about these groups that appeals to my sense of humour.  I can giggle all evening and I'm not really responsible for any of it.  I don't have to play at my best the whole time.  

We recently did a concert at a small village church.  We were wedged in backwards, forwards, sideways and we outnumbered the audience by 10 - 1.  They were a very polite audience - remembering to clap etc but during the interval one of the 'ladies of the church' let her true feelings slip.  We all filed out to the graveyard, where they had set up a marquee to serve a glass of warm wine and stale crips/nuts.  This particular lady asked me if I'd like another glass of wine.  I said, "Oh, I'd better not, you know, second half and all that" to which she replied, "You're not going to sing again, are you?"    
I never know what to say in response to such praise and it is always difficult to talk when tears of laughter are running down your face.  Luckily, my lovely friend managed a, "Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.", which just made me slightly hysterical.

My favourite comment following a really bad concert (with a different group) was at a old people's home.  A very old man, with twinkly eyes, came up to me and said, "That sounded really lovely, my dear".  When I raised my eyebrows he added with a grin, "Of course, I had my hearing aid turned off."

There is a member of the band who tapes every rehearsal.  I hope she's not going to write the sitcom before I do!

All the best people are born in October and so I made some Coca Cola cakes to take into work on Friday when I got back.  They're not the prettiest cakes in the world - but I always have fun practicing my Nigella pouts as I make them.


2 comments:

  1. Two things Julia.....
    Lydia is glad you said all the best people are born in October and gutted she will miss out on the Cola Cake!
    Plus a bad day in Music, teaching Foxes again were we?????
    Jamie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bad day in music - they would always rather spin on their heads. Foxes are lovely this year!

    ReplyDelete