Saturday 1 October 2011

Great British Bake Off

After last week's GBBO I realised I'd never made an iced bun or a mousse cake.  What have I been doing with my life? 

I love that programme - baking has never looked so sexy, although I often wonder why they all have to look the same.  Things I bake never look beautiful.  They usually taste OK but come out all shapes and sizes.

Today's challenge is the iced bun.  Hedgehog-bearded Paul gives the impression that his recipes have to followed to the letter and one thing I can do is read, so I thought it couldn't be too difficult.
As I'm not keen on being bored I also decided to make the lovely Holly Bell's (what a great name!  She ought to write a Christmas book) Strawberry and Custard melts.

The dough for the iced buns was really wet.  If a recipe tells you to mix with your hands and it has eggs, milk, flour, sugar and yeast you can be pretty certain your hands are going to look like you've got some nasy skin disease (mine did, anyway).   I also have biceps like Superman after 14 minutes of kneeding. 

While it was rising to double it's size I made the melty biscuits.  It turns out that I am hopeless with a piping bag.  I couldn't win a competition with these odd shaped biscuits.

After my incompetance with a piping bag I thought I would use a knife to put in the custard butter cream. That was a mistake - these biscuits are far too crumbly to touch with a knife.




The iced buns had doubled in size and it was time to get them into finger shapes.  I couldn't quite bring myself to weigh them out, so they are roughly even in size.

They seem quite popular for an evening browsing University prospecti (or is it prospectuses?!) - even if the cream does get on your nose.



No comments:

Post a Comment