Sunday 30 October 2011

When an extra hour isn't enough

I've been confused all day.  That familiar, 'my head is about to explode', feeling that was constantly with me through my A level Physics lessons was back today.  Time has always been a confusing concept for me.  It doesn't always seem to go at the same speed. I remember some facts from my Physics lessons even though I only managed to get an E by having lots of extra lessons with the young attractive teacher.  Time is relative.  Good old Einstein, mad as a box of frogs but I suppose he just managed to prove my confusion about time with a complicated equation or two.  I also remember something about the speed of light being constant except in a vacuum and the fact that time doesn't exist in most of the universe because there is more non-matter than matter. You see, confusing stuff!

Today the clocks went back but I'm unsure how that gives me an extra hour.  There was a facebook campaign to get people to use their extra hour to do some charitable work and many people were tweeting about having an extra hour in bed.  What happens at bedtime though? Don't you lose the extra hour then?
In Moscow, they haven't put their clocks back because they've decided not to bother any more and in America they will do it in a few weeks so that it's not too dark for Halloween.  In some Northern Hemisphere countries they don't bother because in the winter it just doesn't get light and at the Arctic (or is it Antarctic?) time just implodes on itself because it's where all the time zones merge.  Our government is thinking about changing it too.  I thought they were going to keep one time like they have done in Moscow but typically when it comes to time it's far more complicated than that.  We are going to keep British Summertime but it  will be GMT +2hours and when the clocks go back at this time of year time will be GMT +1hour.  Now, am I the only person who thinks it's odd that time in Greenwich will never be at Greenwich Mean Time?

I have such a long 'to do' list that I could really do with an extra hour, although one might not be enough.  The only solution was to multi-task, which meant walking the dog while learning songs.  The sea wall is the only possible place for this.  It's isolated enough to not have to worry about people hearing the loud out-of-tune singing that happens when you have the i-pod plugged in.

Turning the clocks forward and back is supposed to make cows grumpy.  They apparently don't like to have their milking time changed.  


I suppose she doesn't look that happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment