Saturday 29 October 2011

The Grand Tour

As a right of passage, rich bored young men used to travel Europe to view architecture they probably wouldn't have appreciated until they were much older.  In my teenage years, the more adventurous of my friends went inter-railing and usually ended up in Greece, fighting about cheese rolls.  I never quite got round to doing any adventurous travelling - a week in Tenerife was about the limit of it.  Since June, though, we have been on a Grand Tour of University Open Days and today was the last.  I wonder if those rich young men were quite as glad that it was all over as I am?  It has been interesting and we've seen some fantastic places in England that we would probably have never thought of going to otherwise.

Last was Lincoln.  Lincoln is a lovely town with a steep hill called 'Steep Hill'.  It has a beautiful cathedral, cobbled streets and a bizarre grandstand that overlooks some common land.  It also has a University with lecturers with a sense of humour.

It's great to be home though and I'm looking forward to having time to do some pointless craft-like activities and I think I'll start with some cross-stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment