Monday 24 October 2011

The Elephant in the Room



I've always wanted an Elephant but this one that's sitting in our living room is becoming a problem.  We all know it's there but none of us want to talk about it.  In fact, the subject is banned.  No one dare mention him otherwise there might be tears. But I think if you can't talk about an imaginary elephant in cyberspace then where else is there?

I've never been one of those mums that cries when their child goes to school.  I remember regarding others with disgust as they blubbed and sniffed outside the door of the Nursery school when they dropped their children off for just 2 short hours.  I've always known that they would be back, irritating me, with questions like; "But why do I have to go to bed?", "What's for dinner?", "Have you seen my school tie?" and most recently, "Why can't you walk the dog?"

I thought 'Empty Nest Syndrome' was only for women who didn't have anything else in their lives.  I'm far too busy for any of that!

But, and I am ashamed to admit it, all these University visits have made me feel really sad.  I'm ashamed because going to University is such a great opportunity and I should only be proud and excited.  I suddenly realised that she might just go away and never come back.  Journalists travel the world and she could finish her degree and disappear off to Africa to write sad stories about starving children.

The younger brother is feeling a bit left out at the moment  but he's not saying anything for fear of the elephant.  If he mentions the fact that he isn't getting any of our attention someone might say that he'll have us all to himself next October!

For a teenager, she is quite pleasant to live with.  She usually takes my side in an argument, she knows how to work the computer and program the Skybox.  She can tell me what music is in the charts and she understands the strange musical language I speak.

Maybe I shouldn't worry though.  My Sister and I grew up to the constant refrain, "Out when you're 18, my girl." and despite both going to University we must have thought it was a joke because I live just down the road and my sister lives at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment