Sunday 16 October 2011

Mayday

Generally, I'm a helper.  When someone is drowning they shout "M'aider" and I'm there doing whatever the person needs to get them through.  One day, though, I will probably drown  because I just can't ask for help.  I don't know why I have to be so self sufficient.  I'd never employ a cleaner, or pay someone to do my ironing.  I hate asking my parents if they can look after my son because he doesn't want to go to the next University visit (and who can blame him!).  Sometimes it will take a whole week of worrying before I actually ask, which is stupid because they have never refused help.  This is probably why I can never be a perfectionist.  If you have to do everything yourself there is no chance of doing everything well!

I needed help at the allotment.  I suppose I could have built the compost bin myself but Mr Long-Suffering is so good at things like that.  The wood has been at the plot for two weeks.  It took me that long to ask for help because I had to do the groundwork.  A week of being really nice to him followed by lots of flattery about how good he is at making things.  He wasn't happy though.  On the way he said that he felt like Tom and Barbara Good but he would much rather be a Leadbetter.

As there was a frost in the night we were able to have our first home-grown parsnips with our Sunday lunch.  Unfortunately, that was no treat as he hates parsnips.

Is there an unusual planetary alignment?  Not only did I ask for help I also refused to give it.  I had a phone call from someone who is arranging a concert and wanted help.  I have already helped a little but today this person really irritated me.  She gave her name and then said, "You're going to have to print flyers or I'll have to cancel the concert!"    It looks like the concert might be off!

No comments:

Post a Comment