Sunday 9 October 2011

Myths, legends and Old Wives Tales

I have noticed that people are discussing making their Christmas cakes and Sloe Gin at the moment.  Now, I've discovered that I am a sucker for tradition.  For me, Christmas cake is made on Stir-up-Sunday (the Sunday before advent) and Sloe Gin can't be made until after the first frost because the Sloes are too bitter until then. Even though it felt a bit colder yesterday I still think the first frost could be at least a month away, which means I can't pick my parsnips either.

Sunday mornings are for visiting the allotment and listening to the Archers.  This is a family tradition that as a child I was determined not to follow.  It's funny that it is now my favourite time of the week.  I was reminded of a saying of my Grandmother's, this morning, as I popped a raspberry in my mouth with my dirty hands.  She used to say, "You'll eat a bushel full of dirt before you die."  Not knowing how much a bushel is has given me many sleepless nights over the years. A bushel is only 36.37 litres and that doesn't seem that much to me.

I dug up my beetroot today.  I've never been that keen on beetroot, as  it tastes earthy and  may contribute to the dirt I'm eating but it is meant to be very good for you, having the power to regulate the blood and shrink tumours.  There is a myth that vegetables that grow underground should be planted in the afternoon to encourage them to grow downwards in the direction of the setting sun.  I can't remember when I planted mine but I got quite a good crop.

I have spent all afternoon making beetroot relish.  Beetroot are slippery little suckers! The process wasn't made any easier by the wearing of rubber gloves but even though pink is a great colour I don't want my hands to be any pinker than they are.


The recipe also used all the shallots I had grown this year.  My shallots always cause a great deal of weeping and sniffing.  There are many old wives tales that are meant to stop you crying when chopping onions, for example putting a silver spoon in your mouth, running a cold tap, putting vinegar on the chopping board and eating bread while chopping but I didn't try any of these.  I find it quite therapeutic to have a good cry on a Sunday afternoon!

I'm not sure my relish thickened properly but it needs 30 days to mature before I can try it.

1 comment:

  1. finally read all your blogs. Brilliant Mum, sitting here feeling like a very proud daughter :)

    ReplyDelete