Monday 17 October 2011

Seven Dwarves

Seven Dwarves in a bath feeling grumpy - so Grumpy got out.


The first time I heard that joke I thought it was so funny I inhaled the ice from my Bacardi and coke and nearly choked.  I need a good laugh today.

I'm going to be controversial now and say that I don't think teaching is any harder than any other job.  I can see colleagues jumping up and down and shouting at my blog now, saying things like 'it's because you're not a proper teacher' and that may be true.  What I do think makes teaching a difficult job, apart from having to deal with children all day long, is the perception other people have of it. They think it is less than a full time career, that takes enthusiasm, effort, energy and intelligence.  Even my husband didn't understand that I couldn't just leave at 3 on Friday to make an early start on our trip to Sunderland for the next University visit.  He gets grumpy if I work at home too.  I often wonder where people think teachers pluck all these brilliant ideas for lessons from.  It's the same with music.  If you are a musician people think you can just play anything;  if an orchestra have listened to the 1812 overture then they should just be able to play it but it doesn't work like that. Music is a foreign language to most people and so they would never understand the work involved in arranging 10 National Anthems for 2 part choir and beginner orchestra.  I just want to let everyone know that if I'm grumpy it's because I can't tell you that the music I bought isn't in singable keys, or that I have a bunch of parallel 5ths in my arrangement and I can't work out the melisma's in the Welsh National Anthem!

No comments:

Post a Comment