Tuesday 15 November 2011

You are what you read

Reading is a passion of mine.  I just can't stop doing it.  I'm one of the few parents who reads every letter and e-mail that arrives from school. I read the whole of my twitter and Facebook feed and am always surprised when people ask me how I knew that (when they'd put it on Facebook the previous evening) When I first went to college I astounded my new found friends by announcing that Weetabix was made in Welwyn Garden City. (Yes, I read cereal boxes!)

But, I also know that I am unusual.  Most people don't, can't or won't read signs.

At the swimming pool today I watched 3 people press buttons for the shower, under a sign that said, "These showers are not currently working.  An engineer has been called.  We apologise for the inconvenience."
On the door of the sauna the sign stated that the top shelf was unsafe to sit on and in the sauna a rather large man was sitting on the top shelf on top of the warning stickers.  When I came in he said that he saw me reading the sign and asked if I could tell him what it said as he didn't have his glasses.  Keeping a straight face was tricky.  I only wish I had come in a little while later and seen his legs sticking out of the hole he had fallen through.

On the radio today someone mentioned having seen this sign:


It says it all really.

No comments:

Post a Comment