Saturday 19 November 2011

What would you do for charity?

Huge charity events make people behave like nuts.  It must work too because there seem to be more and more of them.

I'm more of a consumer than a provider of charity event services.  Obviously, in 6th form and college I did Rag Week; dressed in Pyjamas and raced in a supermarket trolley and when I worked in a bank I dressed up in whatever we were told to wear; spots, ears, red noses. Now I tend to buy cakes that I don't want and are a bit ugly or burnt made by children with grubby hands. I confess to buying half a dozen yesterday and throwing 5 1/2  of them away.

I have never:

1. Dressed as a fury animal
2. Sat in a tub of baked beans
3. Shaved my hair off
4. Grown facial hair
5. Let the children at orchestra paint spots all over me with lipstick
6. Taken part in any running event (as a runner - I will be playing in the band for the annual Santa fun run)
7. Sang live on TV

The Plume school choir did sing live on TV for Children in Need and were brilliant.  Each region sang and they were all broadcast simultaneously.  It must have been a technical nightmare but Gareth Malone was on hand to wave his arms in the London studio so they all kept in time beautifully.  Unfortunately, our region wasn't shown in the main broadcast and it is clear that that was because it would have shown the others up.



I know their teachers and parents will be very proud of them.  I was just one proud parent who was only able to show my support by donating money to Children in Need.

No comments:

Post a Comment