Monday 7 November 2011

Who was Albert Hall, anyway?

Questions that are asked on a school trip can be intelligent, amusing, irritating or just plain stupid.

The irritating include, "Are we there yet?", "Can I go to the toilet?" and "What's the time?"  These can quite easily tip into the stupid category depending on timing.  For example, "Are we there yet?" before the coach has pulled out of the school road.

I am probably the meanest teacher alive, as my rule of not leaving the stage during a performance (even if you really really need to pee) was enforced even for the pupils who had begun to dance.  "What would you think if you went to see Robbie Williams or Lady Gaga in concert and they said, 'sorry guys, back in a moment, I just need to go to the toilet.'?"

On one journey home from the Royal Albert Hall the questions from one child had all the staff in hysterics.  Every question began with the phrase, "You know such and such" and unfortunately the such and such often wasn't very clear.
Child:      You know the stars?
Staff:       What stars?
Child:      The stars in London?
Staff:      The famous stars?
Child:     Yes, the famous stars.  Well, can you see them at home?
Staff:      We see them on the TV but you might see them in person at the Royal Albert Hall
Child:     Oh, I've never seen any on TV
Staff:      Haven't you?  Who is your favourite star then?
Child:    I like them all
Staff:     All of them?
Child:    Yes, they're so pretty
Staff:     Pretty?  Even the men?
Child:   I didn't know there were men
Staff:    Oh, do you mean the stars in the sky?
Child:    Uh Huh.  You know the cats?
Staff:    (wiser this time)  What cats?
Child:   The ones in the road
Staff:     I can't see any cats in the road
Child:   Nor can I.  Where are they?
Staff:    Probably at home
Child:   That's a bit dangerous.
Staff:    Why?
Child:    They stop you having accidents.
Staff:     Oh, you mean cats eyes.  They're not real cats.
Child:    Aren't they?  You know that clock, Little Billy?



Yesterday's trip to the Royal Albert Hall wasn't quite as entertaining but there were some excellent questions being asked.  I was really proud of my choir as they asked the band brilliant questions like, "Why is your saxophone bigger than normal?  Is it lower?"



My favourite question of the day was,  "Who was Albert Hall, anyway?"  When I explained about Queen Victoria and her husband and how the hall was built as a tribute to him, as was the gold statue across the road.  Someone said, "Cor, he was big wasn't he."


I had a fantastic day yesterday but I am hoping that I won't keep counting to 34 in my sleep tonight.  My daughter watched the concert and commented that all I seemed to do was count the children - it must have become a habit by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment