Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Name Game

In a class full of Jackies, Susans and Julies I was just one of the crowd.  Even the extra errrr at the end of my name didn't help much.  A girl in my class was called Holly and she was bubbly and vivacious and always seemed a bit different; like Christmas but it's such a common name now I wonder if a Holly feels like one of the crowd.  When we were expecting babies the long-suffering husband and I spent many hours thinking about and laughing about the names we could call our children.  Queeg was a particular favourite for a long time!  At the remembrance service the Senior school wreath was laid by a girl called Poppy.  I don't expect her parents thought they would be letting her in for a lifetime of wreath-laying when they named her.

I've often wondered if your name defines who you are.  Many cultures believe so and wouldn't dream of naming a baby without consulting a numerologist.  The full name you are given at birth is meant to give you a number that is your destiny number.  Give each letter a number A-I, J-R,S-Z = 1-9.  Then you add up the numbers until you get a single digit.  My destiny number is 1, which makes me a leader and anyone who knows me will know how accurate that is. (Heavy sarcasm).

On the radio this morning I heard about a man who was in court today on charges of abduction and child sex offences.  This story wouldn't normally have made the national news but this man's name was Michael Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment