Tuesday 22 November 2011

Memory

I usually enjoy listening to radio 4 but today after a program about how beautiful women wear make up and ugly ones tend not to bother and another about signs of dementia I'm feeling quite depressed.

I think I have a good memory.  At school I always got my spellings, German vocab and times tables right in tests because I was able to learn long lists.  I can learn song words and remember all my pin numbers.  But lately I've begun to forget things.  When I couldn't find my keys my children suggested I look in the fridge!

A Facebook page has recently sprung up where people post memories of the town I grew up in.  Most of the posts seem to be from people my age.  It has been very interesting reading what people consider to be interesting memories to share with the world.  I'm keeping an eye on it just in case someone 'remembers' something extremely embarrassing about me and then I can delete it.  One strange thing has occurred though.  Someone has posted a photo of a school trip to the Lake District that I went on in Junior School.  They have named the people in the photo and there is only one name I recognise.  That person was my best friend in junior school but I can't even begin to decide which one she is.  I remember that I left my camera on top of Scafell Pike and was most upset because I'd taken a picture of a red squirrel.

The school stories have had me chuckling all day especially memories of the loveliest drama teacher in the world.  He was short, flabby and bald and resigned his job to become a woman.

Yesterday, I took my son to the orthodontist, who also seems to have had a sex change operation.  We were both quite shocked when a short, aggressive Chinese woman opened the door and called us in.  She said that things had improved a lot since the last time she saw him.  We didn't particularly agree as we thought she was much better looking as a tall, silver-haired man.

After the Facebook picture I wondered if I would recognise myself from that time.

The face is familiar but I definitely don't remember the shirt!

1 comment: