Saturday 31 December 2011

Happy Death Day

New Year has never been my favourite time.  When I was very small I thought it was the day the old people died to make room for the babies that would be born in the coming year. When I got a bit older I was ashamed to tell anyone of my former belief because it just sounds so crazy but this morning I realised that I wasn't quite so stupid after all.

On New Years Eve the media looks back.  It reflects on every terrible thing that has happened so that people say, 'wasn't that a terrible year.  Lets hope the next one is better.'  This morning I could have easily believed that all of these people had died.

Elizabeth Taylor
Osama Bin Ladin
Colonal Gadaffi
Kim Jong Il
Vaclav Havel
Ted Lowe
Seve Ballesteros
Fred Titmus
Graham Dilley
Ginger McCain
Dan Wheldon
Joe Frazier
Henry Cooper
Gary Speed
Betty Ford
The Earl of Harwood
Diana Lamplugh
Eddie Stobart
Amy Winehouse
Steve Jobs

They did die this year but NOT this morning.

New Years eve parties can be dire too.  After the excesses of Christmas you don't really want to eat or drink or see anyone you just want an early night but that would be rude so you go to parties and sit and watch the clock.  I'm having a few friends round this year and in an attempt to be less gloomy I've prepared a quiz and made some cupcakes (coffee flavoured) to keep us awake.


No comments:

Post a Comment