Saturday 10 December 2011

Christmas Shopping and 18th Birthday Parties.

Westfield shopping centre is full of Russians.

 I'm not sure if their Olympic team has arrived early or if it was the London branch of the Moscow protests but I definitely heard lots of Russian being spoken.  I'm reading a novel about the poets surrounding Stalin and have realised that I am staggeringly ignorant about the country. Looking at the stats for this blog it seems that several Russians read this nonsense, which is bizarre.  I started (and finished) my Christmas shopping today.  Every year my credit card company panics when a few weeks before Christmas I use my card to buy all my presents in one day.  You would think it would be obvious and I'm no where near my limit but apparently it's the sign of fraudulent use and so they stop it working.

This evening was the 18th Birthday party of a boy we have known for 16 years, since Ready Teddy where we sang songs about Rowing Boats and played with the parachute. We used to lift share on the school run when they were in infant school and I have always admired his ability to be bossed around by two small girls without losing his temper. Thinking that I might be too old for an 18th Birthday party, I wasn't really looking forward to the evening but it was very civilised.  No one was sick.  And I greatly appreciated the 'Oldie room', which had soft seats and less noise.  The topic of conversation for the evening was favourite Christmas films and I have a new one to add to my list - Trading Places.  We also decided that many Christmas films are just too depressing and it's not until you have Sky Movies that you realise just how many awful films have been made about Christmas.  Last week, while doing the ironing (which probably wasn't a good start anyway) I watched a film called The Christmas Rabbit, where a girl is fostered by a family but she doesn't speak because her mother is an alcoholic.  They find a rabbit that has been shot and is constipated because it's been fed sweets and no hay.  The vet opens on Christmas Day and tells the family he can't help but he knows a crazy lady who they should go and see and she steals the rabbit and only gives it back when the little girl gets off the school bus early to go and see it.  Then the brother in the family takes the rabbit and puts it in a pram and runs the pram down a ramp and the rabbit falls out and the girls screams and the Dad, who has just lost his job, says the rabbit has to go.  The girl runs away and gets lost in the woods in the snow.  The Dad says he believes in God after all and the Crazy Lady sees the TV appeal and knows where the girl has gone and they rescue her.



The very strange girl, who didn't speak was called Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment