Sunday 11 December 2011

So Tired I'm Seeing Santas Everywhere



It has been a crazy exhausting weekend but it's the mad things that keep me going.

This morning I went to the Prom to stand in the freezing cold, wearing a Santa Hat, playing carols.  I used to think that when I grew up I would be so glad not to have to have a musician's Christmas.  Sitting on street corners, freezing your bits off, playing music that no one really wanted to listen to and performing really quite badly was something I thought I wouldn't miss.  But I did miss it.  Without it Christmas just didn't feel like Christmas.



It was the annual 'Santa Fun Run' in aid of Farleigh Hospice and it just proved, once again, what a crazy place I live in.

Rudolf on a bike was the pacemaker.  He appreciated his own song as he arrived back at the finish line with the fastest Santa, a very small boy who ran twice round the park in just about 13 minutes.

It's never easy to play well outside.  Music blows off the stands, even when you have secured it with 12 pegs.   I was trying to play with one arm holding my music on my stand.  For one piece I only had one page because they'd all blown on the floor earlier and my second page had been picked up by one of the Clarinets.  It can also be difficult to concentrate when there are Santas everywhere.


Every Santa made it back except two dogs, Buster and Barney, who probably got sidetracked chasing the ducks, who were definitely laughing while we were playing.

1 comment: