Sunday 20 May 2012

What's Yours?

My drug of choice is cake and sometimes in my attempt not to appear too addicted I seem like a dealer.  I take them  into work, leave them on the staff room table and say, "Go on, try a bit."  I don't know what it is that makes cake my particular thrill.  It's not even eating the cake that cheers me up but the process of turning sugar, butter, eggs and flour into something completely different.   It's a particular pleasure if I can put something that I've grown into a cake. Today, I plan to make a rhubarb and custard crumble cake.
Last week's cake - Toffee and Liquorice

At the Youth Orchestra practice on Friday night, the conductor started to sound like a dealer.  He was wandering around saying to the kids, "Have you tried the Theremin yet?"


My daughter thought she was pushing her drug of choice during the  week.  In the middle of A level revision, her particular pleasure is A3 paper and coloured marker pens.  My contribution to her revision was to buy some scented marker pens. She sat in the library and whispered to the person next to her, "smell this, it's gorgeous!"

Last night someone bought me a Jager Bomb.  Being old, and not having drunk alcohol for over 20 years, this is a drink that I find very difficult to understand. It smells of cough medicine and has a glass inside a glass. I watched carefully, as some people took their little glasses out and drank the shot first followed by the rest of the glass, others tipped the little glass into the big glass and others left the little glass inside the big glass as they drank (how the little glass didn't bump their nose I don't understand) .  Some downed it in one, while others sipped.  No one really looked as though they enjoyed it.  Someone else drank mine, as if I were going to start to drink alcohol again I would choose a gin and tonic or a nice glass of red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment