Thursday 3 May 2012

Glory B

The recorder is a cool instrument.  Just because it's played badly by small children and old ladies who wear sandals with socks it has a bad reputation.  It can sound beautiful and interesting.  This Youtube clip of madwomen playing the recorder is a great example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvuSfMgFJlQ&feature=related

But everyone has to start somewhere.  My colleagues think I'm a bit crazy to be persisting in teaching the recorder:  I hear doors slam as soon as I start lessons,  I'm asked how my head feels at the end of the day and parents thank me sarcastically for teaching their children to play.


For too long music has been a subject that is only available to the wealthy.  Instruments and lessons are expensive but the best musicians may just not be getting the opportunity.  The recorder taught as part of a music lesson is the beginning of giving the opportunity.

Today I was teaching a class of 6 & 7 year olds a new note.  They have learnt B A and G already, they can read music and not play at rests and their favourite performance piece is Glory B ( a piece of Bs and rests).  I had struggled to explain how to play D with the previous class.  It is played with the middle finger of the left hand covering the second hole from the top.  I asked the class to look at their left hand and hold onto the longest finger with their other hand.  Then I told them to fold the other fingers over.  To check that they all had the correct finger I asked them to show me.

It is quite a shocking thing to have a class of 30 small children  all apparently swearing at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment