Monday 14 May 2012

Are Sunny Weekends Longer?

Time seems to do funny things.  The older I get the more I think that time is not as straightforward as our watches lead us to believe.  Even though a sunny day has as many hours in it as a rainy one, sunny days last much longer.  I always do more on sunny days.  I seem to get all the boring stuff, like washing ironing, piano practice and housework done as well as the other more exciting things.



This weekend I persuaded the Long Suffering Husband to walk with me and the dog.  I told him it was 3 miles but it was 5.  He wasn't particularly happy about it because there was football, F1 and several other sport that had to be watched but after walking for 40 minutes he said, "well, at least we've stopped shouting at each other!" An absolutely delicious sandwich and a pint at the Bell also helped.



Despite the long walk and a swim.  I also managed to read, knit and catch up on loads of TV watching and there was even time to go to the allotment.  When I was at school I remember studying the Nazis and wondering how they managed to get away with it.  I wondered how everyday people put up with the injustice, how they allowed their former friends and neighbours to be victimised and even told on them.  This weekend I met an Allotment Nazi Spy and now I know how it all worked.  This rather unpleasant individual had spoken to almost everyone there, while I was working, pretending to be the most friendly person on the planet.  As I was about to leave I was approached, "You look like you've had enough!".  I smiled, the truth is that I would have been in trouble if I'd stayed any longer as the BBQ would be burnt.  "It's a shame you didn't manage to finish it!"  I knew I must be being spoken to by a novice, an allotment is never 'finished'.  "I'm taking a break now myself, I'm just going to go and have a look round."  I agreed that sometimes it made you feel better to compare your plot with other people's.  "No, I'm going to go round and check to see which allotments aren't being used properly so that I can report them!"  I warned care.  I told of how soul destroying it is to get a weed letter when you are doing your best. "There are some that are just not being used properly at all, the one next to your Dad is new, they came and rotorvated, they've done nothing since and  now there are weeds on it!"  I had had that conversation with my Dad, where he felt very sorry for the new owners, who had cultivated the plot before 2 weeks of solid rain and now would have to start all over again.  "I'm sure he told me it was longer than 2 weeks, Oh well, I'll give them a bit longer!"  I wish these people would learn that not all weeds are bad.
Nettle Soup Anyone?



The best part of the weekend was making biscuits.  Since the Great British Bake Off I read the blogs of the contestants and the winner (Jo)  recently posted a recipe for Coconut and Hazelnut Shortbread.  I've always loved shortbread but it was her description of this as being the Mary Berry of Biscuits that had me hooked. It might be the best biscuit in the world.


 It was so good I even dreamt of it on Saturday night.  I have made them even better by putting them in my favourite tin.



No comments:

Post a Comment