Monday 21 May 2012

The End of the World

The Long Suffering Husband has a skill that I think must be unique.  He is very good at lying on the sofa and watching films.  he never gets bored and he can watch the same film over and over again.  He enjoys a good disaster movie and this weekend he watched Deep Impact for the 6th or 7th time.


"What would you do if you knew the world was going to end?", he asked.  "Make cakes," I replied. "Eat," said our daughter.  "Out," barked the dog.

"Would you kill yourself?" he asked.   In the movie quite a lot of people did.  I never completely believe experts anyway so I could never take their word for an end-of-the-world scenario.  I would have to be there to see if they were right.  And then there would be the list to finish.  It would be dreadful to know you were going to die and not have everything ticked off your 'To Do' list.  I know none of it would be important but no one would add anything to it because they'd all be too busy panicking and it might be the only time when the list gets finished.


This is a philosophical question that puzzles thinkers, film makers and religious nuts all over the world.  People make bucket lists of things they should do before they die.  I'd like to think I'd do something positive but the truth is I would probably all run around like headless chickens, panicking and doing very little, just like everyone else but for now, I'm going to hold onto the cake fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment