Wednesday 15 February 2012

Poor Finisher

Waterstones, Oxford Street branch are very entertaining on Twitter.  The other day, they tweeted that they were thinking of removing the signs to the self-help books as telling people where they are kind of defeats the point.  Self-help books were a particular favourite of mine throughout the nineties.  I don't know if they went out of fashion, I grew up or I just learnt everything I needed to from them but I don't read them any more.
During a flirt with Feng Shui and Clutter Clearing I read that anything unfinished is clutter that is stopping you living a full and worthwhile life.  As life is, by definition, unfinished this has always seemed like a really stupid statement to me but as a strong starter, weak finisher I do have millions of unfinished projects that sometimes leave me feeling as though I'm wading through treacle.  

Starting has always been more exciting for me.  I remember school sports days and the anticipation of starting the sack race, egg and spoon race or the three legged race (with my Dad).  It was exciting.
 There was as much chance of me winning as anyone else (I was delusional) but after the first half-dozen steps the excitement was over and I didn't really want the race to end so that I could be awarded 5th place.  It's the same with books, trying to eke the last few pages out so that the story doesn't end.  

Half term is a great opportunity to finish a few things.  I've finished a few books, although I have started another.  I've finished knitting a baby jumper for a friend.

And I've finished eating the heart shaped biscuits I made yesterday.  (If you can't make heart shaped food on Valentines day then why can you?)

I've finished a bag of Doritos, some Minstrels and a large bottle of fizzy pop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment