Monday 20 February 2012

A Full Time Job

Whatever happened to loyalty?  Once upon a time, when I was younger (a very long time ago), loyalty was rewarded.  Employers wanted their staff to stay for the length of their career.  Experience was valued. Now, money rules but not long term earnings just the fast buck.  Staff are chosen because they can be paid minimum wage (or be on workfare) and older more expensive/experienced staff are forced out or made to feel so uncomfortable they leave.  It's the same with banking.

What is the point of a blog if you can't use it to have a rant and name and shame companies that have really irritated you? So, in true 'Grumpy Old Woman' style this blog is dedicated to Santander.


The long suffering husband has saved with Abbey National for the last 40 years, our first mortgage was with them.  The children have always had their savings accounts there and I saved with Alliance and Leicester, which was gobbled up in the name change.  Last year, I discovered that the good savings rate I had on my savings account (not that I have much savings) had suddenly disappeared so I booked an appointment for advice with the customer adviser.  After much confusion and the completion of several forms I had 2 new accounts, one for my regular savings and one for the money I already had saved.  Both had the best interest rates available.  This week I received a letter to say that the interest rate had changed (now less than on a current account!) so I went in to find out what to do. I was expecting more forms and more confusing discussions but no, they weren't really interested unless I switched my current account to them.

"You see, madam," (why does the title madam always make me want to punch someone?) "There is often a problem with third party money transfers."
"But it's not third party, I would transfer my money from MY account here to MY account there!"
"Oh, but if the money doesn't stay in the group it's considered to be third party."
"So, my money doesn't actually belong to me then?"
"I'm not saying that, it's just that there are always problems."
I went home and spent a few hours researching savings accounts and decided to close my account. When I returned closing a small savings account took 45 minutes.  Admittedly, these were exceptional circumstances.  There were only 2 cashiers serving (actually, I've never seen more than that so I suppose it was a good day) and just as I went to the till the next cashier began to serve a woman who had won the lottery.  This is not a joke, she had won the lottery.  I don't know how much but it was enough to pay off her mortgage, get future authorisations for 2 car purchases, book an appointment for investment advice.  After, my cashier returned her attention back to me (because everything had to stop to congratulate the lottery winner) she confessed that she had never closed an account before and needed some help with it.  But there was no one to help because they were busy with Lottie.  A few shouted instructions got her through and while the system was updating the account she noticed that they queue was out of the door and so she asked if I would mind if she served a few people.  Of course I didn't mind but the next chap spent 15 minutes, checking his pension, paying in pennies he'd saved in a pot, transferring money between different accounts and getting some money out. With the queue still out the door, I returned to the cashier, who still didn't know what she was doing and the supervisor was on a conference call with the investment firm to book an appointment for Lottie. 45 minutes from first taking to the cashier my account was closed and I had a cheque in my hand.
"Thank you for your patience," she said
"Oh, I don't think I have been very patient," I replied.

When I had talked to the adviser the day before I had mentioned how confusing it all was.  His reply was, "Yes, managing your money is a full time job now."
I can see why if it takes 45 minutes to close an account.
Anyway, I don't want a full time job.  I've got 2 part-time jobs, 2 children, a husband, an allotment, a dog, instuments to practice and a blog to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment