Wednesday 8 February 2012

Made up words

English probably has the most words of any language but still it seems there are never quite enough.

Maybe it's because we are a more creative nation than any other or have had so many other lingusitic influences but as an avid Words with Friends player I'm glad there are so many choices.  I do cheat.  I don't know the meaning of every word I use.  I have been known to just chuck letters at the board and then be really surprised that I've accidentally hit upon a real word.  Recently, I stumbled upon trappous (trap-like), Ogham (a type of alphabet), hotted (made hotter), strows (leaves things around like strewn). Some people I play against get a bit fed up of my made up words (especially when I put them on triple word scores) but at least I've never played a game like this one.

There are some words that aren't in the dictionary that should be.  These are some of my suggestions:
Cooth -  you must be able to be the opposite of uncooth
Gruntled  - If you can be disgruntled you must be able to be gruntled.
Whelmed - you can be under and overwhelmed but does that mean we are whelmed all the time?
Outrance - the exit
Paffling - faffing and prattling at once
Fugly  - fat and ugly
Verocious - viscious and ferocious
Puffalope - padded envelope
Craptacular  - amazingly bad
Testiculating - talking bollocks with large gestures

Shakespeare made up loads of words.  Eyeball is one of his as are epileptic and puke.

Children make up words all the time.  I heard a child ask a TA, "Are you going to tramulate that?" I think they meant laminate but tramulate should be a word.

Yesterday, I overheard this conversation:
"I'm going to have to get new dog food because she doesn't think the packet is pretty enough."
"No, just put bones on it or stuff."
"That won't work, it's not pink."
"Sticky-back plastic."
"Yeah, 'cause you've got to wonkerize."
STUNNED SILENCE
"It's a credit crunch and all that - save your money."

Save your money for chocolate, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment