Sunday 26 February 2012

Apple Crumble.

Apple crumble was the first desert I learnt how to make.  It is easy and cheap.  You can't go wrong.  The recipe was developed during the war when rationing didn't give the average family enough fat and flour to make pastry.  You just rub some margarine into flour and sweeten it with sugar and put it over peeled apples and bake.  Simple.

So, why did I just eat the worst crumble ever in a restaurant?  Were they trying to be clever?  The topping seemed to be lacking any margarine or sugar.  They didn't peel the apples.  Actually, when I say they didn't peel the apples I think they did but they put only the peel in the crumble.
The topping seemed to be an unsweetened museli, poured over stewed, unsweetened apples and placed under a grill until the top was burnt.
Then it was served in a lake of custard.
I am tempted to make an apple crumble and leave it on the doorstep with a note.  "This is an apple crumble." I might make it after I've been to the allotment.  Crumble making is a wonderful way of getting your nails clean! That would be the closest I'd get to complaining.
This is an apple crumble

No comments:

Post a Comment