Wednesday 29 February 2012

Explosions

It seems I'm doing request blogging tonight, or maybe people have just got used to my style that they can spot the one thing that's said during an evening that they know will have taken my interest.

When my son first went to senior school he joined the Science and Rocket Club.  It was the highlight of his week.  It was the only time I saw him smile.  He would get in the car, grinning from ear to ear and tell me about the things they had blow up, how they'd had to notify the police and the fire brigade and how cool it all was.  Now, I don't want you to get the impression that I have bred a little fire-starter, or future suicide bomber but I think everyone secretly loves an explosion.

Who didn't try the Mentos and Coke experiment?


I don't understand suicide bombers.  What's the point of a good explosion if you can't watch it?  And the reward of 72 virgins in heaven must seem much less attractive when you realise that Ann Widecombe is the most famous virgin I can think of. There was a suicide bomber in the news recently who had put the bomb in his pants.  It didn't work but he has some serious burns on his bottom.  I don't suppose he ever considered the consequences of not dying.

This evening, someone suggested that something sounded like an exploding penguin.  The image of an exploding penguin flashed before my eyes and I thought it wouldn't be the most exciting thing to see explode.  There was a Monty Python sketch about an exploding penguin and the actual explosion was very disappointing.  If an animal is going to explode feathers need to fly.


A chicken would be much more exciting to explode, or a pigeon or  pheasant, as you will know if you've ever hit one with the car.  It's one of the things that makes Angry Birds such an addictive game.  You just want to see those little birds poof into thin air, feathers flying.

A few years ago over 1000 exploded frogs were found in a pond in Germany.  It turned out that it was all the fault of a Hannibal Lecter of a Crow, who picked the liver out of a live Frog.  This happened so quickly that the Frog, finding himself short of a liver deployed his defence mechanism of puffing himself up to twice his normal size but with a hole in his side this caused him to explode.  

This reminds me of the frog balloon scene in Shrek. Balloons are the best things to blow up.  Working in a balloon shop would be a great job, unless you had a phobia of balloons, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment