Wednesday 4 January 2012

A Very Disturbing Thought.

When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets and love will fill the stars.
 

Nobody can agree when the age of Aquarius is.  Some say is began as early as 1447 but others say we are entering it soon.  The song seemed old fashioned from the moment I heard it and that was in 1973, which was during Hair's last year in the West End.  I remember it because I was in the Top Infants (as we used to call it) and we learnt it in choir and I played it on my recorder.  I also remember our teacher, an imaginatively named Mrs Jones, telling us very excitedly that the show had been forced to close because the roof had fallen in.  Looking back, I think Mrs Jones might have been a Hippie.

(This is Ali McGraw - but Mrs Jones looked like this -honest!)

Most people have heard of Hair and know Aquarius and Let the Sun Shine but can only tell you that it features nudity.  I understand it is just a very brief flash at the end of scene one and that it's all about love, drugs and long hair.


There is a very disturbing rumour that a local AmDram group are going to be performing this as their next musical.  I love being in the band for these shows but might have to say 'NO' to this one.  I'm not sure I can sit at the back of the stage while the Vicar's wife and the Chairman of the Parish Council parade across the front of the stage in the buff.

No comments:

Post a Comment