Saturday 28 November 2020

Wish

 Last night I weighed out the ingredients for the Christmas pudding. Everything goes in a bowl with a good glug of alcohol (I use milk stout and Tiptree Christmas rum). Then you cover it with a tea towel and leave it overnight. 

Traditionally, during this phase each member of the family takes some time with the ingredients. Stir and wish.  Usually, I struggle to think of a wish and so I just think, “Let nice things happen,” as I stir. Whilst I am realistic that my pudding can’t work miracles it doesn’t stop you from asking for them. This year, I keep thinking of things to wish for.

I’m fairly certain that too much stirring at this stage won’t hurt the flavour but will all these wishes make my pudding bitter?

Could this be one of those fairy tales, where adding our dried bitter tears of lockdown frustration will spoil the pudding?

As I’ve walked around town, I’ve heard the phrase, ‘after corona’. People, especially teenagers have lots of plans for nice things to happen after corona. 

Okay. Just one more stir.

All together now.



“We wish for nice things after corona.....oh, and make that soon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment