Wednesday 4 November 2020

How much do you love me?

 The American election still isn’t decided. It’s looking like Biden might be the next President but it’s really close and Trump isn’t going without a fight. 

A fascinating phenomenon has started to play out on the news networks. People have started to appear to defend Trump. They will say anything, no matter how bizarre, to defend their preferred leader. Trump seems to have a lot of people willing to defend him, even as the leadership slips though his fingers. I’ve always understood that people will support a person who has power - it’s a form of self preservation - but as that power slips you would expect that the support would fall. Donald Trump is used to undying loyalty. He has always had money which always equates to power. It doesn’t seem strange to him at all. The rest of us, however, are confused. To us, it sounds like a toddler shouting, “Prove it. Show me how much you love me!” 

I keep humming the dadadadas from the King’s song, in Hamilton, every time Farrage, Guliani or one of his children appears. “You say that the price of my love’s not a price you are willing to pay. You’ll be back!”



I can’t help feeling that if I had been ridiculously stupid, the people around me wouldn’t defend me, whatever the cost. I think they would just go quiet; play possum; wait until the fuss was over and say, “We still love you but you were an idiot.”

In real life (not politics) people are having to prove how much they love each other. Human connection is a basic human need and people in England are now having to decide if they love each other enough to break the law. 

Meanwhile, the virus sings, “Ill be back....da da da daa.”

No comments:

Post a Comment