Tuesday 3 November 2020

Are We Clapping Yet?

 Lockdown two, what can we do, the rain is getting harder.

I’ve got the tune to Electric Avenue stuck in my head and I keep re-writing song lyrics. It’s perfectly appropriate as this evening is Eighties night on Bake Off, so, on with the leg warmers before I make some simple butterfly cakes singing my new song.

During the last lockdown, I found myself getting increasingly irritable with the posters that said that rainbows came after storms. Rainbows come during storms. They appear during the unexpected downpours of rain. You know, the ones where you’re walking along in the sunshine, feeling all happy, imagining that life is good and wham! Suddenly you’re soaked but no one told the sun either and so there it is, shining through the rain, pretending. “This is fine,” the sun says, “We’ve got this. Just keep shining. It doesn’t matter that the rain is splitting my light into its constituent parts. Just look at how pretty I really am.”

Is it just me that thinks it’s odd that we are heading into lockdown again, just as the weather decides that rainbows hugely important? It’s almost as though the rainbow posters in the first lockdown were prophetic.




I know. It’s just me. I need to sleep more and think less but are we clapping yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment