Wednesday 1 July 2020

Water bowls, garden pots, Aggie and Independence

I’m exhausted. You probably are too. Your brain is working at a million miles an hour, trying to make sense of all the information coming at you. You can feel the strain of neurones firing as they try to make sense of contradictory information. You sleep well but wake up exhausted.

 I’m exhausted and overwhelmed. I wish I was that Scottish lady on the radio who said she wanted the borders closed because the English haven’t been spoken to like adults and so we can’t be expected to know how to behave. I just want clear information, delivered to me on a daily basis in an open, honest way that can be challenged by reporters. I don’t want to write about any of that, though.

“I don’t know what to write about today,” I said to the Long Suffering Husband.
He looked around the kitchen.
“Water bowls,” he said hopefully.
I thought about it. I could write about how careful you have to be with a dog water bowl. They are a trip hazard and it’s easy to drop things in it when it lives in the kitchen. I have noticed that my dog always seems to be extra thirsty when I’m making butter icing. Sweet water is his favourite.
“Flower pots?” he tried again.
I’m not feeling the love for a flower pot topic. He only thought about it because we’ve been looking for the ‘right’ garden pots and he can’t believe how complicated the process seems to be. Any sensible person knows it’s not a decision you can rush.
“What about Aggie. You could write about Aggie.”



It is true. I do love Aggie. I don’t know if you name all the plants in your garden. I do because, like the birds that visit, how can you have meaningful conversations with them if you don’t know their name? I had high hopes that Aggie would be quite chatty. I thought she’d have lots to say, however, she too is feeling a bit sorry for herself. The wind caused her to let go of the bamboo cane and it was all quite traumatic.

“Independence day,” he finally said.

And we are back to the beginning. I’m not going to write about it. It’s the most stupid, most inconsistent thing the government has done so far and I am not going to write about it. Not today, anyway.

Today, I’m going to breathe and I might have a little chat with Aggie, or Humphrey and Lauren, the two elegant doves that are sitting on the fence. It’s not always bad to sit on the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment