Tuesday 14 July 2020

Grump

I don’t know what to write.

All I can think about is face masks and I don’t want to think about them. The government caved. They bowed to public pressure. Face masks are now compulsory.

For clarity, they’re not compulsory yet.


  • In 10 days time you will have to wear a mask in a shop
  • You won’t have to wear one in a pub
  • You will have to wear one on public transport
  • You won’t have to wear one if you are the bus driver in glasses
  • It’s not compulsory now so that you have time to go into a shop without a mask to buy a mask
  • The ONS infection rate survey said that the virus was prevalent in 0.27% of the population on May 14th and 0.00025% on the 9th of July and is falling all the time but we are going to wait until July 24th.
  • The government hasn’t decided when (or at what level of infection rate) we will be able to stop wearing masks.
  • If you don’t wear a mask in a shop the shop can’t enforce it.
  • The police, however, can fine you £100
  • Your friends and neighbours will turn on you if you leave your house without a mask.
  • It is your fault if anyone dies - ever.
  • Take some personal responsibility won’t you. Don’t be selfish.
  • Don’t worry about how deaf people are going to negotiate the world.
  • Don’t worry that cancers are going undiagnosed
  • Don’t worry that post natal depression is on the rise because isolated new mothers can’t cope
  • Don’t worry about domestic violence
  • Don’t worry about any of the other things that are wrong with society.
This is not what I wanted to write about and now I’m grumpy with my brain for being obsessed with trying to understand inconsistencies.

I wonder if I could get one of those magic masks, like Jim Carey had in the film The Mask. A mask I could put on that would totally change my personality. I could suddenly become someone who only cares about coronavirus and stop worrying about inconsistent messaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment