Saturday 11 July 2020

Popular Mask

I’m confused. Again. I know, it doesn’t take a lot but the mask debate is confusing me.

Scientists are split about whether asking the public to wear masks is a good idea or not. Up until now the government has gone down the line of thinking that, on balance, they aren’t that helpful. We can’t actually know if they were right. If only we could go back in time and instead of locking down just make everyone wear a face mask. However, we can’t. We won’t actually know. We can’t even effectively compare with countries that have a higher incidence of face mask wearing because there are other factors at play. Some studies have shown that effective face mask wearing reduces the risk of catching flu by up to 8% and that countries like Japan with a high compliance for mask wearing have seen a small reduction in their annual flu deaths.

It seems odd to me that the government have chosen now to change their mind.

Now, when that 0.03% of the population has the virus and the incidence is consistently going down, despite people being in greater social contact, is the moment they’ve chosen to decide that face masks are a good idea. I’m confused. If, after a weekend of shopping and pubbing (I know it’s not a real word but I like it) the cases in the community had gone up then I could see the value. Rather than lock down again, just stop people breathing on each other. However, that hasn’t happened.

What did happen was that a lot of people on Twitter shared pictures of politicians not wearing face masks and said that it was disgraceful. They were disgusted that Rishi served men who were eating out to help out without a face mask. Boris was seen in a factory, not even one metre apart from people without a mask. Instagram influencers and vloggers with pretty eyes shared pictures and videos of them wearing their gorgeous homemade masks and suggested that anyone who didn’t look as attractive as them were selfish. There was a subtle shift in public attitude.

So now Boris is seen in a mask. We are to wear one, not only on public transport (unless you are a glasses wearing bus driver because then everyone would be less safe) but in shops. Not in bars or restaurants because then you couldn’t shove the food and drink into your gob.

I went shopping yesterday. I’ve worn out my shoes. There’s no surprise there but I have silly skinny feet and really need to try shoes on. For me, it was an awful experience and so I can see that online shopping will suddenly become attractive. There is confusion about the rules, you constantly feel as though you are doing something wrong and every shop smells like a hospital. I’ve told my brain it doesn’t need to run away but it won’t listen. Smells are powerful things.It’s difficult to hear the staff who are behind screens, masks and visors. You have to go around shops in the specified direction so that you can’t just pop to the shoe section. If you add mask wearing into that mix, I suspect it really will be the death of the High Street, as anyone who hates the idea of being seen as selfish but struggles with a mask, for whatever reason (and there are many) will just stay at home and only order online, if absolutely necessary.

I’m sure there will be people who read this blog who won’t understand why I’m confused but it just doesn’t seem logical to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment