Thursday 23 July 2020

Normal

 
I know I’ve said it before but I think I might be fixed. Trauma based PTSD, related to multiple close griefs doesn’t mean you can’t get back to normal.

It has only taken twenty six and a half months, EMDR therapy, bloody-minded determination, daily yoga, walking my feet off, reading every book on the subject and a world wide pandemic. Now, my emotions are pretty much like yours.

I realised this yesterday as I stood in a field, celebrating the end of primary school with year 6. I was able to wear headphones, listen to music and inspire terrible dancing: YMCA, Superman and Saturday Night, all part of my eighties/nineties disco repertoire. A silent disco is brilliant and I couldn’t have been prouder as I noticed that the singing (although from 3 different songs at a time) was basically in tune.  Later in the evening I was even able to cope with the chattering of teachers celebrating the end of term, socially distanced of course, on the field with pizza and bubbles. Just before I left I was even able to take part in a toilet selfie and I thought, “That’s it! I’m back to normal.”

If your normal is having a distanced water fight with 11 year olds,  a catapult and water balloons, or eating pizza in a field with exhausted people and you are struggling at the moment then I’d just like to say that there is hope.  



No comments:

Post a Comment