Tuesday 12 June 2012

Clichés

In an interview, an author, whose name I can't remember said that any description that you have heard before is a cliché.  She said that she sat for 5 whole days to think of a new way of describing the palm trees that line the streets of LA.  At the time, I remember thinking that life was too short and that the idea of ever being a writer was one I should abandon immediately.

I'm going to lay my cards on the table here.  I love a cliché. They have me in stitches, they make me laugh until I cry and laughter is, after all, the best medicine.

At the Allotment this weekend I heard loads of clichés: You have to make hay while the sunshines; All things grow with love and weeds grow without love; Can't see the wood for the weeds (sure it was trees last time I heard it!); I don't like dishing the dirt but have you seen Fred's plot? If they think those leeks are going to taste nice I reckon they've just fallen off the Turnip truck;  In every life a little rain must fall.

The weather always throws people straight into Cliché Mode.  It's been raining cats and dogs for days.  It's great weather for ducks but not so good for the rest of us.  With outdoor musical events planned this week I have been hoping it will stop soon as I don't want to be responsible for 300 drowned rats.  Today, I found out that one event (2 singing opportunities) has been cancelled.  It's a washout.  The other event Sparks Will Fly will not be cancelled.  It will go ahead come hell or highwater and it won't be over until the fat lady sings.

On Saturday my son is doing his DofE walk.  The practice walk was a washout.  The whole thing was mud, sweat and tears and at the end of it they were not as happy as pigs in mud.


Next week is Mac Theatre's Shakespeare in the Park.  They are doing Midsummer Night's Dream and the weather will not stop them either.  I have watched their plays in the rain.  As Shakespeare wrote, "This very midsummer madness."  In Thunder Lightening or in rain, when shall we watch Shakespeare again.

Whatever happens this week I will be ready with my net to catch the pearls of (cliché) wisdom that fall from people's lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment