Saturday 14 April 2012

Tears, Horses and Lemon Drizzle Cake

As a family we make one bet a year.  I don't know how it started or why we chose the Grand National to be our annual gambling focus.  It's not even as if we are horsey people.  I've thought of horses as large, smelly vicious creatures ever since I was 8 and a horse in a field near where I lived clamped it's jaws around my whole hand and refused to let go until the the polo has disappeared.


Crying doesn't come easily to me.  I'm not one of those people who weeps at films, weddings, cute babies or animals, or children singing (unless they are very out of tune - but I don't think that's the same thing!) but I find the Grand National to be a very emotional race.  I cry from the very beginning.  When the horses are parading around.  After Red Rum had retired you could almost taste his pride during the parade.  Some horses are nervous and skittish, some look relaxed and others are excited but all of them have their emotions clearly on display.

This year I was blubbing from the interview with Ted Walsh, where he said, "I'm just a father today.  It's difficult when it's your little girl is riding.  I just home she comes back safe."  Synchronised threw his rider before the race even started and went for a wander on his own. I sobbed, "Oh, now the Jockey will be really cross with him." Then there was laughter as I discovered my horse had wind problems and the children decided that I'd chosen well.  I thought I'd chosen well anyway just from the name  as I am 'Always Right.'


Then the race started and as each horse fell we were all shouting at the TV, "No!  Get up!  Quick!  Don't crush him!"   All our horses had fallen and the excitement started to build.  United, we wanted Seabass to win.  They could probably hear my daughter screaming, "Come on Seabass.  Yes, let a girl win.  Come on Katie," in Scotland.  

The race was over and Neptune Collonges had won.  I thought grey horses never won the Grand National.  They are so pretty, always remind me of rocking horses and both Jockey and horse were so proud of themselves.  


But the real tears came when we found out that Synchronised and According to Pete had fractured legs and had to be destroyed.  

The death of the horses reminded my daughter (Media Studies Geek) of Waltz with Bashir.  Despite hearing everything about it I hadn't seen it until today.  


There is only one cure for that many tears.

Lemon Drizzle Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment