Saturday 28 April 2012

Symbolism and my padded cell

Symbolism is a fascinating subject.  The idea that an object, action or idea can represent something more than itself runs through art, science, literature and every major religion.  Humans are always looking for connections.  Almost as soon as we can talk we ask, "Why?"  Parents pushing buggies sigh, "because...because...it just is!"


When I was a homoeopath, I loved studying the symbolism between plant remedies and the things they could cure.  Paracelsus wrote about the idea of the Doctrine of Signatures in the early 16th Century.  Herbalists at the time believed that God had marked things with a sign or signature of their use.  Medical scientists would probably sniff at the idea but it is undeniable that these herbalists contributed enormously to botanical study and pointed the way to many amazing medical discoveries. Without the doctrine of signatures, aspirin would probably never have been invented.  Herbalists noticed that Willow trees (Salix) grew in damp moist environments and so they used Willow bark to treat people with pains from rheumatic complaints that were aggravated by damp weather.  The Salicylic acid in the bark has been synthesised to make aspirin.


  I wonder if headaches that do not start in damp weather would be better cured with paracetamol?  


As a child, I was fascinated with the plant Shepherds Purse.  I loved the shape of the leaves and even wondered if it people should chew it if they had a broken heart.  Studying the plant, as a homoeopath, I found out that they weren't heart shaped leaves but womb shaped leaves and that as a homoeopathic remedy.  Thalaspi Bursa Pastoris  it was very effective at treating many of my patients with menstrual disorders (especially fibroids).




This current spell of wet weather has coincided with a time when many people I know are experiencing a lot of sadness.  Somehow, it feels as though the world is crying.  Every funeral I have ever been to has been in weather like this.




On Friday, I went to support my daughter at her A level music recital.  It was an absolute delight to be treated to so much beautiful music by such talented young people. When one candidate started to sing, the birds joined her.  The song was Eva Cassidy's Songbird.  It was a beautiful, natural duet but then the birds got a bit carried away and over-sang.


Scene Stealers


At the beginning of the week I had some very exciting news.  The school where I work is to build a posh shed for me to  teach music in, without being disturbed by the dinner ladies trying to get the tables out for lunch, or the football team using the hall to change, or children coming in to find PE equipment.  However, the symbolism of this has started to hit, as it is being referred to as my 'padded cell!'


           



No comments:

Post a Comment