Wednesday 11 April 2012

Sinking

The Titanic is everywhere at the moment: Terrible TV dramas, books, films, documentaries, new museums, the news.  You would be forgiven for thinking it had just happened.  But everyone loves a Centenary.  One hundred is a lovely number, big fat and round.  It rolls around your tongue and makes everything look special.

It does seem a very strange thing to do, though.  Who came up with the idea of putting the relatives of people who had died on the Titanic in a great big boat exactly 100 years after the first one set sail and taking them to the spot where it hit an iceberg?  It seems like madness.  What if this boat sinks?  In this age of terrorists one of them will have considered that to sink this boat would make a big splash.  

When my daughter first got her i-phone she considered calling it Titanic just so that when she plugged it into her computer it said "Titanic is Syncing".  My computer currently says, "Julia is Syncing." It may be right, even if it's spelling is bad. 

The Long Suffering husband bought me a Minstrels Easter egg and I have eaten the whole thing.  It was delicious but then I made the stupid mistake of checking the calories.  


Total calories = 1673.  

This wouldn't be a problem if that was all I had eaten but that was on top of the slight overeating I've been doing in the last week and all in one day.  My son has been cooking.  We have had the most delicious meals and a dessert every day and I've taken the word holiday to heart.  I've lazed in bed reading books, slobbed on the sofa watching films,  not been swimming and my trousers are beginning to feel tight.

Determined to make amends I made my way to the swimming pool.  I decided to keep going until I had swum a mile or sunk due to cramp, whichever came first.  I had the pool almost to myself.  After 37 lengths I had cramp in the little finger of my left hand.  It was odd but not enough to stop me and it disappeared at 40 lengths.  Then at 50 lengths it was my left ankle's turn. 'Fifty is a good round number," I told myself and the cramp went away.  I didn't sink.  At 62 lengths cramp struck again.  This time in my right middle finger.   This cramp has stayed and although it didn't stop me swimming a whole mile it might just be enough to stop the piano practice.  What a shame!

A badge you would only get with a proper swimming stroke


No comments:

Post a Comment