Monday 14 December 2020

The Million Songs of Christmas

 Most people can choose their favourite Christmas film but to pick just one song is impossible. The best Christmas films have several songs in them too, which most people wouldn’t even consider when choosing their favourite song. I would choose a Muppet Christmas Carol, as my go to seasonal film. It’s funny (light the lamp and not the rat), is based on literature (if are not a snob and include Dickens), is set in the 1800s (my current obsession), has a good message and double the Marleys. It also has thirteen cracking songs. 

Spotify lists nearly one million songs and if you’ve ever worked in a school, you will have come across more that aren’t listed, like the classic, Camel Funk (yes, someone was having a laugh, keeping hardworking music teachers working on singing diction, so a hall full of four year olds don’t swear).

If someone asked you to pick one favourite Christmas song, could you do it?

That’s what I asked my colleagues to do. Just one, so that we could have a teacher’s daily favourite sing a long, while we are remote learning. I was impressed with the speed of the initial reply from most but then they followed up with second, third and fourth choices.

“No! Wait! But what about all the Christmas carols? I’m going to miss belting out the chorus of O Come All Ye Faithful in church this year.”

“This is so difficult. I had a brilliant playlist sorted for the last week.”

“It’s not Christmas without dancing around the classroom to Dominic the Donkey.”



“Or the hippo song.”

Christmas songs are the best and are made even better because you can only listen to them 

for a month. If you haven’t started on your Christmas song playlist then you’d better get on with it. There’s only 456 hours (if you don’t sleep) to listen to all one million songs.  Even if you are dedicated, you’ll only get through a third of them but If you are like me I know you’ll accept the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment