Wednesday 2 December 2020

It’s a mystery

 It doesn’t take much for me to get invested in a puzzle or mystery. The unknown answers to questions I didn’t even know I had can keep me awake. Although many things can keep me awake there’s nothing like a good whodunnit.

A colleague has just completed a hard fought challenge to give up chocolate in November in aid of the Brompton hospital, who, I think it’s fair to say, saved her son’s life. We could all see how difficult this was for her. Chocolate, as an addiction, is one that is acceptable in society and almost impossible to live without. I think of it as an essential daily food group.

We were all thrilled for her. Life is tough at the moment and being able to think of someone else and do something that makes life even harder is a lovely thing.

The end of the challenge has, luckily, coincided with chocolate before breakfast month, so she is probably currently gorging on advent chocolate before having Nutella on toast or Coco Pops for breakfast.

One of the lovely things about our school is how much the staff like and support each other. 

Yesterday she got to her desk and there was a chocolate and a note. This hasn’t been the first and probably won’t be the last. I had considered leaving a Turkish Delight but then second guessed myself because it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. 



The thing about this chocolatey deposit, though, was that the note was anonymous. So, she posted a thanks on Facebook. This has caused a spate of guessing. Handwriting, it turns out, isn’t as unique as you might think and now I’m invested. I need to solve the puzzle.

The most amazing thing, though, is knowing that this is the kind of thing any member of staff could do and possibly has done. The cake, chocolate bar or knitted heart left on someone’s desk when someone is having a bad day or a tough time seems to be the kind of gentle support we go in for. I’m not bragging but don’t you wish you worked somewhere where you wouldn’t be able to guess who left chocolate or a piece of crochet on your desk?


No comments:

Post a Comment