Saturday 19 December 2020

Sleepless Bird

 For the last week or so, we’ve noticed a bird that sings late into the night. It’s still singing when we go to bed. 

“Maybe it’s a blackbird?” we thought. Remembering the Beatles’ song.

“Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these lonely wings and learn to fly. You were only waiting for this moment to arrive.”

Then I remembered that it wasn’t a real blackbird but a protest song. 

I googled blackbird song and it didn’t sound quite right. 

Last night, I had one of those panicky nights where sleep only comes in 20 minute bursts and you have to throw the window open and breathe. The bird was singing all night. 

Standing in the garden at 4am I listened carefully. It was a robin. 



“Why do robins sing in December? Long before the spring time is due?” 

I searched my song bank of knowledge for the answer. 

“I know why and so do you.” 

Well, that’s not very helpful is it?

I think it’s because they sing all year and there are less birds around, so that we notice the little native robin. They are also bold and not afraid to sit on your garden fork to grab the first freshly turned worm, so you know it’s their song.

However, there were no songs to explain why they are singing all night. Google helped. Robins, apparently, are used to hunting in low light conditions, which is why they can live in England through the winter with its long dark evenings. 

“It’s all the Christmas lights!” I shouted at the Long Suffering Husband when he first woke up. “The lights are keeping the robin up all night. She’s having to hunt all night. She must be exhausted. As if 2020 isn’t bad enough. Sleepless birds.”

I know what it’s like to be a sleepless bird.

I must refill the bird feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment