Monday 7 December 2020

Don’t read

 It’s rare that I would be suggesting that you don’t read but today is not the day for it. Don’t read the papers or look at Twitter. Avoid looking at the write ups of the Brexit talks, don’t check the latest statistics on coronavirus. Don’t even get sucked into the fish puns. Trust me. This is a day for pulling your duvet back over your head and singing show tunes. 



Obviously, if you are like me, then the instruction not to read will be impossible. I once followed an unblocking creativity course (from a book) and it suggested that you had a week where you didn’t read anything. This was such a challenge for me that I found myself staring longingly at a cereal packet, desperate to know exactly where in Welwyn Garden City it was made and what RDA percentage of B vitamins were added. The point of the exercise was to get you to develop your own ideas rather than taking everyone else’s. In the end, I decided that, for me, it was better to read more and develop my own ideas from the balance of opinions. 

I wish I hadn’t done that today, so I’m off for an early morning swim. Pass the mind bleach.

No comments:

Post a Comment