Monday 31 August 2020

Norm is busy

 I’ve been driving myself crazy for the last few weeks. The same question buzzes around in my head, with no answers. That’s not true. There are too many answers and none that feel entirely right.

What shall I do about my little orchestra? 

Government guidance is a confusing minefield and although I am ultimately responsible for making the decisions it just didn’t feel right to be making them on my own. When we started the orchestra, it was me and my dad, driving everyone nuts, discussing our plans constantly, over Sunday lunch, if we met while walking the dogs, when they came over to babysit or just on the telephone. Little problems like, “How can we get the clarinets to know where we are starting from?”, or “Shall we get insurance just in case that boy gets his finger stuck somewhere that isn’t the end of his own flute?” We didn’t always make decision straight away but the constant chat gave us time for our ideas to settle. 

While I have been struggling with this question I have often asked myself, “What would Norm do?” My daughter pointed out that in the current climate WWND wasn’t necessarily the best motto. He certainly wasn’t the one of us who would err on the side of caution.

When he died I felt alone with these decisions. Luckily, however, I have the Wonderfully Bonkers Committee (WBC). 

We have a Facebook messenger chat group but I was finding the written suggestions to be making me feel more confused than before. So I called a virtual meeting. As always happens, one person couldn’t get in on the platform we were using. 

“Why don’t we just use Messenger video,” someone said.

Genius.

Except that I haven’t deleted Dad’s Facebook account or removed him from the committee group. A short while after everyone was in, as I was showing them how I can balance a pencil on my nose (always important not to take meetings too seriously) the words “Norm is busy” flashed up on the screen.



I had to look at the floor. I couldn’t catch my colleagues eyes. I have a huge problem with dark humour. I know you are meant to be sad but it’s funny isn’t it? I didn’t want them to see me laughing. I’m glad he’s busy. I imagine him in a pub somewhere.

I did mention it at the end. 

“It would have been worse if he’d actually joined us,” someone said.

I’m not sure. It might have been even funnier. Maybe it would have been nice, although as the WBC are absolutely brilliant there was no need to find out WWND.

No comments:

Post a Comment