Wednesday 2 September 2020

No news is good news

 

When I woke up this morning, I thought I had nothing to write about. Then I remembered that no news is good news.

Breaking news is still happening on my dining room table. My daughter managed to keep her new job in the latest round of local news redundancies but they don’t have an office to go back to, no matter what Boris says about the Pret economy. However,  I’m back at school so it’s not so ‘in my face’

It doesn’t stop me reading it, though and yesterday I was very happy for Extinction Rebellion, as a routine fire alarm allowed their protest to be reported.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/live-updates-chelmsford-county-hall-4473670

The sudden evacuation of County Hall turned out to be a non-story just as a small protest always is but two non stories can get into the press.

People often complain that the press never writes good news but any writer will tell you that stories without conflict are boring. 

This is why I thought I had nothing to write. I went into school. It was fine. There are few differences but it was fine. I tidied my room, took down an old display, thought about the upcoming academic year. 

Small things like tidy pencil pots make me happy

After school I met a friend and we walked to town for a cup of tea and shared a scone and family news. We laughed at the table next to us trying to wrestle a wasp into one of those little jam pots. “Just call me Carol Baskin,”she said’ “I’m not giving up until this stripy thing is in here!”

Then I walked home, walked the dog, went for a swim, made tea, read some of my book and went to bed. 

I’ve got nothing to write. It was just a good day.

I was thinking about parents who are anxious about their kids going back to or starting school. The best thing that can happen is that they pick them up at the end of the day, hoping for a blow by blow account, only to be met with a shrug and to be told nothing happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment