Saturday 9 January 2021

Thanks Facebook - a poem

 Yesterday I was grumpy.

I didn’t know why.

And later I was tearful.

All I could do was sigh.

I had a bad night’s sleep.

Woke feeling anxious and blue.

Today, logged into Facebook,

And there I found a clue.

Not one but two notifications,

Of a birthday we can’t celebrate.

Lots of birthdays missed this year.

It really isn’t great.

There’s always next year we say to cheer.

This isn’t one of those.

But I’m determined to find the positive.

And not fill this page with woes.

A birthday often forgotten in life.

Will always be remembered in death.

Technology moved too fast.

And caused my mother stress.

We set up her first account,

To watch videos of cats and babies.

But then the friend requests came in,

Which began to drive her crazy.

From dad’s account she stalked the lives,

Of all their friends and relatives.

Played candy crush and other games,

Becoming quite competitive.

“Enough’s enough!” 

He said one day

“I don’t waste my time on silly games,

what will my friends all say?”

So, forgetting that she had her own,

A new account was started.

Her birthday year was entered wrong.

A finger slip if I’m being kind hearted.

A loss of nineteen years,

Was all she really needed,

For her birthday, forgotten in life

To, forever be doubly heeded.

I could be sad, I could be blue, 

Instead I’ll smile and say, “Facebook, thank you!”








No comments:

Post a Comment