Wednesday 23 September 2020

Looking for meaning

 It is true, I need more sleep. My apparent need to only require 4 or 5 hours a night means that my brain is more active than it should be. This, in turn, leads it to try to make connections that aren’t there.

Yesterday, in the wee small hours my brain was trying to make sense of Boris’ speech and Bake Off (I’m sure it was Val Stone that said to listen to the cake, not John Whaites). When I gave up on sleep I wrote about the speech. As I was writing, I noticed that the phrase, ‘a stitch in time saves nine,’ had the word incentive in it. Aha! It’s a clue! My tired brain went into overdrive. Maybe it’s not a call to embroidery but a secret message. I told my brain to behave and went to work.

My first class of the day, who are obsessed with the music room (now repurposed as the Covid Response Activity Place), kept asking about when they could go in. I told them that I was hoping it would be soon but now I wasn’t sure.

The children made suggestions.

One month? Or six? Maybe? Christmas? Or not? One month or ten months? Cockroach!

It was like being transported to a Boris speech. I wondered if cockroach was a clue and spent the rest of the day humming La Cucaracha and looking for the ice cream van. 

By lunchtime, my brain was convinced there was a secret hidden message in the unusual phrase, ‘a stitch in time saves nine’. I played with some anagrams while I ate my lunch. 



THIS IS MEANT AS INCENTIVE

I had it. Oh, Boris. Sticks and carrots to you too. 

I was quite proud of myself and thought that maybe I should join GCHQ. My code breaking skills are worthy of Alan Turing. 

By the time I got home I decided to give the other weird phrase as go. If a well worn outdated cliche, from a writer who should know better could be a clue then a nonsensical phrase about graphs speaking surely was important.

I started to play with Iron laws of geometrical progression. 

I, FOOL GREW POINTLESS CORONA GAMES

LOWLIFE IMPOSTER ARRANGES NO CORGIS

I suddenly realised that long sentences can probably always be rearranged.

I had another go at a stitch in time saves nine and this time I got, AHEM, INSTINCTIVE NASTIES.

The question is, should I offer myself up for GCHQ or try to get more sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment