Saturday 16 May 2020

Thinking (an inner dialogue)

I need a day off.
It’s Saturday. Of course you can have a day off.
Is it?
It can’t be Saturday again. It was only Saturday three months ago.
Time is funny like that.
But my neighbour isn’t cutting his grass.
It’s only 6am. Far too early.
Oh, time is funny isn’t it?
But I still need a day off.
Well have a day off then. Stop whinging.
But I can’t, can I?
Who do you think you are?
I’m not really sure.
It’s not like you’re Chris Whitty or a headteacher. Just have a day off.
OK but I’m not sure how.
That’s silly, you’re not even working.....properly.
Not work. I don’t need a day off from work. I need a day off from thinking. I think too much.
All owls think too much.
I think that I need to stop thinking.
See, you’re still thinking. You are thinking about thinking.
Yes, that’s just it. My head is full of whispy cotton wool thoughts that can’t be caught.
Meditation is supposed to help.
It was during my morning yoga that I first thought that I needed to stop thinking. That’s what meditation does for you.
Oh, I see. How about a walk?
I think more when I walk. It’s when I sort out the thorny questions like, ‘Can you actually change a virus’ R rate? Isn’t the R just a measure of human susceptibility?”
Good luck with that then. How about sleep.
Nope. Still thinking. Weird dreams and questions about where I could get myself a guard penguin.
A guard penguin?
Yes, there’s no Covid19 in Antarctica.
Right. You really do need to stop thinking. Have a day off.
I need a day off.......





No comments:

Post a Comment