Sunday 3 May 2020

Inappropriate Material

“What are you going to write about today?” the Long Suffering Husband asked.
“I don’t know.”
“Hmmm. You’ve run out of things to say,” he told me.
“No. I’ve got a couple of rants in me. You know, restarting IVF before dental treatment, the slippery slope of treating the NHS as a charity, or the ethics of making Coronavirus more important than any other disease or illness.”
We agreed that no one wants to read those rants at the moment. People need hope. They need to believe that everything being done is good.

Yesterday, I texted a friend that I’ve neglected. She teased me by telling me about an interesting lecture she had listened to on the ethics of triage that I would have enjoyed but can’t listen to because I’m not foolish enough to be doing a PhD in human rights, as a single parent with a full time demanding job.

Last time I messaged her, she told me that her son had set up a sewing machine on the kitchen table and was sewing scrubs for NHS workers, so I asked if he was still sewing.
She told me that he had run out of appropriate material.

That’s how I feel about my blog today. I’ve run out of appropriate material.

This news did make me fall down a google rabbit hole of what would be inappropriate material for people treating the Coronavirus to wear.

Fabric available from Spoonflower

It’s funny how quickly the inappropriate can seem like the best choice.

This article in the New York Post shows that I’m not the first to have this thought.


It’s a great piece of material but will be counterproductive. Instead of keeping people away, they will step closer to see what the print is. I can now see why the government don’t want us using face masks.

I will keep my ranty inappropriate material to myself for now and hope something more cheerful comes to mind tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment