Sunday 24 May 2020

Angry

There’s lots to be angry about, not least a government that have implied that we don’t care about our children if we didn’t drive halfway across the country to infect our parents and give the whole of the North East one of the worst death rates, a scientific advisor who is prepared to suggest that an intelligent man whose wife had flu-like symptoms looking after his own child was a safeguarding risk and a Prime Minister that seems to be missing. However, I’m not going to mention those at all.

No. What I need to talk about is proper professional signs with apostrophe errors.

I understand that apostrophes are confusing and I’m sure I have made mistakes but I don’t pay thousand of pounds to have it printed on signs or get someone to check it. I do know that misplaced apostrophes can be missed by even the most anal proof reader. I missed one on the Estate Agent’s document for selling my Mum and Dad’s house: It said, Lovely 1800’s house for sale. I know, how stupid of me numbers can’t have possessions!

So, I went for a little walk to calm down about the thing I’m not going to mention at all and then I saw this sign.



I couldn’t see a trackway belonging to an HGV (although that would still be a nonsense sentence). I looked around. There were several HGVs. There was also a children’s play park that was being ripped apart. The sign on the fence said that the park was closed due to Coronavirus, which I did understand before the thing I’m not going to mention at all. However, even when I understood it, ripping it up seems a little harsh. I walked a little further and saw a sign on the Mosque door. It said, “All prayers cancelled.” I’m guessing that whichever God you pray to might be a bit busy with all of this and maybe we don’t deserve help anymore but I hope they aren’t all cancelled because then what what the point of me shouting, “Oh God. Can’t you even get the apostrophes right on council signs?”?

No comments:

Post a Comment